Okanagan-Shuswap, British Columbia on TransCanadaHighway.com
Here are some quick suggestions for visitors with limited time in the area: The schedule is only a suggestion -- you may have more fun, or wish to take more time than mentioned below.
Shuswap Lake Image Gallery
One Day Stay
To capture the essence of this city, here are suggestions for your first day (especially if its your only day) in the Okanagan. Starting at the northern end, here are the things you should make an effort to see:
- Sicamous, the narrows that join Shuswap and Mara Lake, home to hundreds of houseboats
- Kalamalka Lake Lookout, just south of Vernon has a great view of this beautiful lake
- Without picking favourites, stop at any of the 20 wineries in the valley. All offer free samples (to those over 19) and many offer tours. The first is Grey Monk, beetween Vernon and Kelowna, and you'll see them every few miles down to the US border.
- Kelowna's City Park, downtown just east of the Floating Bridge offers great waterfront views and a pretty downtown shopping district on Bernard Street.
- Knox Mountain Park, north of downtown on Ellis Street, offers great views up and down the Lake.
- Giant's Head Mountain, just above the town of Summerland, looks like a Giant's Head, and has a road and then a short hiking trail to the top
- Penticton's Okanagan Beach, Main Street shopping district, and Skaha Beach on the south of town are a tight visual feast for visitors. (There are several wineries north of Penticton on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.)
- If you have time left, be sure to head down to Osoyoos, just north of the USA border, to see the only true desert in Canada, and a banana tree orchard!
- From here you would catch the Number 3 highway, either heading east through the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta or west through Manning Park into the Lower Mainland.
A Longer Stay
If you are able to spend more time in the area, there are many things to see and do, depending on your interests. Check out all the Okanagan Area Attractions, organized by category or each of the communities.
Thmpson River, Shuswap Lake & Lkae Okanagan Towns Map
Shuswap lake & Salmon Arm Attractions & Accommodation Map
Okangaan-Shuswap Accommodation & Attractions
Here are a featured SAMPLING of hotels, motels, long-term accommodation, vacation rentals, lodges and campgrounds. For a complete (and searchable listing) use the red SEARCH feature at right.
Accommodations Directory Listings
Here are some of the hotels, motels, campgrounds, and lodges/cottages to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
Free outdoor parking, complete with large-vehicle spaces, as well as free continental breakfast. Each room in our hotel features free Wi-Fi Internet access, and non-smoking accommodations are available. Kids 17 and under stay free with an adult.
Kamloops Art Gallery, Lake City Casino, Thompson Rivers University and BC Wildlife Park Kamloops. Aberdeen Mall, with dozens of shops, restaurants and services, is within walking distance.
Across from Vernon's largest shopping mall, adjacent to Lake City Casino. Features 53 mostly non-smoking rooms with refrigerator & in-room coffee, 19 kitchenettes. Meeting rooms, indoor swimming pool, health club, dataports.
Stay our our wonderful campground, and enjoy the great outdoors… see our website for details
This wonderful family lakeside resort with 18 two bedroom cottages and 2 three bedroom cottages the Shuswap Lake in beautiful BC Canada.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of hotels,mnotels, beds & breakfast, long-term accommoodtion, and comprgrounds to choose form in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
Attractions Directory Listings
Here are some of the attractions, museums, historical sites, and sports activities to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
Located near the pristine shores of Skaha Lake. Voted "The Best Golf Course in the southern Okanagan 2004"and also considered the 'friendliest'. Our 9 hole challenging layout is user friendly and walkable. Power cartsand rental cl
our Fraser Valley winery is set in a lush agricultural landscape, surrounded by green vistas and the occasional trot by of an equine explorer.
The 18 hole course has wide, accommodating fairways with an excellent assortment of hazards. There is also a 9 hole executive-style course. Spallumcheen now offers two distinct challenges - a 9 hole executive length course (2624 yards), and
Today the elephant has grown into a 6,000 case winery driven to craft wines of character. Wines that sing with the unconventional voice of vanguard fruit.
Pwermanently closed. Now owned by Mission Hill Wineries in 2002
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of attractions, festivals, tours, and things to see & do in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
If your local area business is not already here or in the FoundLocally.com directory (try the SEARCH box at the top), and you would like to be featured (randomly), add yourself to the Free Listings!
Be found on FoundLocally.com AND TransCanadaHighway
Add Free Listing