Amherst, Nova Scotia on TransCanadaHighway.com



This town of 10,000 is just east of the New Brunswick border, and happens to be in the geographic centre of the Maritimes. Amherst has decorated the town with murals that celebrate its many historical phenomena. If you stroll around downtown, you'll see Amherst's Victorian architecture and heritage homes. Visit Cumberland County Museum and enjoy learning about Cumberland County's rich industrial and cultural history located on Church Street. The downtown Farmers Market and watch artisans from throughout Cumberland County create before your eyes. At the Visitor Information Centre, you'll see a beautifully restored 1905 railway coach car that at one time served as the Official Government of Canada Coach. Each Summer Amherst provides a stage for 3 local Theatre Companies. Performances include evening musicals, dinner theatre, and children matinees.

Amherst was first named Cumberland in 1820, after the county. In 1841 it was renamed for the county, which was in turn named in 1759 for Lord Jeffrey Amherst (1717-1797) who when he was commander-in-chief of Britsh forces in North America, along with Admiral Edward Boscawen, had captured Louisbourg in 1758 and Montreal in 1760.

Historic buildings in Amherst, Nova Scotia It adjoins the 80 square mile Tantamar marches and the year-round Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary with over 200 different types of birds., and is 25 km from the Joggins fossil fields. Amherst has many wonderful beaches in its surrounding area, where the water in the warmest north of the Carolinas.

FoundLocally's Business listings for Amherst

Attractions

Amos Seaman School Museum
RR 2, River Hebert, NS B0L 1G0
(hwy 242, 20 km west of Amherst)
(902) 251-2289
A restored one-room schoolhouse houses a collection of photos and documents commemorating the life and achievements of Amos 'King' Seaman, 19th-century merchant and industrialist of Minudie. Explore the genealogy of the Seaman family and other local families, as well as the history of the area's fishing industry and grindstone quarries thorough scale models of Minudie of long ago. Operated by: Minudie Tourist Council Open Summer months inquire locally. Admission free, donations welcome.

Bass River Heritage Museum
{5666 Hwy 2}
Bass River, NS B0M 1B0
To preserve all history of Bass River and surrounding area. Artifact preservation and display for future generations. Dominion chair display of fine furniture, Pole Railway and many ship's logs available to peruse. Operated by: Bass River Heritage Society

Cumberland County Museum
150 Church Street, Amherst
902 667-2561
In Grove Cottage (1831), the family home of Senator R.B. Dickey, Father of Confederation. Presents the natural and human history of Cumberland with emphasis on the industrial history. Art gallery, research library and archives. Open year-round: May 1-Sept 30: Mon-Sat 9 am-5 pmOct 1-Apr 30: Tues-Sat 9 am-5pm. Admission: adults $1, under 16 free .

Debert Military Museum
{1540 Plains Road, Bldg. #213 Former Camp Debert}
PO Box 154, Debert, NS B0M 1G0
(902) 662-2860
Aa military museum which displays military artifacts pertinent to the history of the Debert area, which was a military staging ground for 30,000 Canadian troops during World War II. The museum is housed in one of the last remaining Wartime era H-Huts in Canada. Colchester Park formerly Camp Debert contains military artifacts and testimonials from those who served here and sometimes wish to return and reminisce. Operated by: Debert Military History Society. Open May-October: Mon-Fri 10:00 am-4:00 pm, Sat-Sun 10:00 am-2:00 pm. Admission free, donations welcome

Heritage Models Centre
1868 Main Street (Hwy 242}
River Hebert, NS B0L 1G0
(902) 251-2442
The centre is an historical classroom for children and adults and displays 40 miniatures depicting the history of River Hebert and surrounding area. It has received the Distinguished Service Award from the Central Nova Scotia Tourist Association and has become a major tourist attraction along the Fundy trail. Recipient of the 1998 Attraction Award from Central Nova Scotia Tourist Association. Operated by: Heritage Models Association. open mid May to October daily from 9am to 5:30pm. Admission charged. $3.00 for adults, $2.50 for seniors and students, $2.00 for children. $8.00 for a family rate, group rates available.

Joggins Fossil Centre
Main St, Joggins
(902)251-2727.
The Centre features the world's largest collection of 300-million-year-old "Joggins Fossils" as well as exhibits of trilobites, brachiopods, bivalves, gastropods and fish fossils from around the world. Local fossil identification available. Open June 15 to September 15. Admission: Adults $3.50, Seniors $3, Under 18 $2 Free fossil with every admission.

River Hebert Miners Memorial Museum
Hwy 242, River Hebert, NS B0L 1G0
(902) 251-2250
The museum is a collection of mining equipment and background on local miners who worked our mines, as well as the local miner's union over the years. See a collection of mining and area pictures since the early 1900s. Operated by: River Hebert Village Commission Open Summer daily 9:00 am-5:00 pm. Admission free, donations welcome

Nappan Research Farm
5 km S on Hwy2, 5 km west on #302
902 667-3826
This 223 hectare (551 acre) research farm was established in 1887 for agricultural and livestock research. The farm includes and 2 hectare wetlands with nature trails., Allow 1 hour. Open Mon-Fri 8:30 to 4:30, closed Mondays. Free admission.

North Cumberland Historical Society
{10222 Durham Street, second floor at Pugwash Train Station}
Box 353, Pugwash, NS B0K 1L0
(902) 243-3348
The North Cumberland Historical Society collects, archives, publishes and makes available historical and genealogical information of the North Cumberland area, as well as provide a research facility for genealogists, historians and other researchers. The society has a collection of family files, research reference materials, maps, charts and photos. Open July-August: to be determined; September-June: Fri 2:00-4:00 pm , subject to change. Admission: research fee, $2.00.

The Nova Scotia Highlanders Regimental Museum
36 Acadia Street, Amherst, NS B4H 3L6
(902) 667-5577
The Nova Scotia Highlander Regimental Museum has a collection of pictures and plaques and operated as a museum since 1986. Today, the museum houses a vast collection of military artifacts and displays that tell the historical story of the Nova Scotia Highlanders from their beginnings as the Cumberland Highlanders to their present day status. Operated by: 1 Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) Open year round daily 9:00 am-noon or by appointment. Admission free, donations welcome

Community Map

Site Features  
Translate:
Halifax Search  Click to expand this menu

Halifax, NS Info & Links  Click to expand this menu
Nova Scotia Provincial Info  Click to expand this menu