Wawa, Ontario on TransCanadaHighway.com
Wawa is on the northeast corner of Lake Superior, where the lake
begins its southward drop to Sault Ste. Marie. Today the town lies at an
important junction of highway 17 south and highway 101 east into the major
mining cities of Ontario's North.
The town's name is derived from an Ojibway word meaning "wild goose", was gained from the thousands of geese that rest on Wawa Lake during the spring and fall migration. As you enter the town, watch for the giant statue of a Canada Goose poised for flight. Before 1680, Wawa was a fur trading post, since it has been the site of three gold rushes and now primarily relies on iron mining and tourism. One of the other attractions is Scenic High Falls.
Regional Tourist Information
Hwys 17 and 101;
Scenic High Falls
1.6 km (1 mile) south on Hwy 17;
Surrounded by picnics and trails. Its Free!
Lake Superior Provincial Park
Highway 17 south of town
Rushing rivers drop from interior highlands to Lake Superior, creating dramatic rapids and waterfalls, including the magnificent Agawa Canyon in the south of the park. The park has eight canoe routes and 11 hiking trails, as well as 274 campsites in three spacious campgrounds.
Official Web site