This 24,000 resident community (double its 1999 population) became a city in 1985, and lies on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, 25 km north east of downtown Edmonton.
It was established as a fort by the Northwest Mounted Police in 1875, with the expectation the trans-continental railway would be built through here, until the route was decided through Calgary and the Kicking Horse Pass, not through the Yellowhead Pass. The fort was transferred to Edmonton in 1913 and the original NWMP fort was demolished.
Fort Saskatchewan Attractions
Fort Saskatchewan Museum and Historic Site
10006 – 100 Avenue, Fort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 0J3
The Museum includes nine historic buildings including a pioneer home, doctor’s residence, courthouse, one-room schoolhouse, church and a blacksmith shop. A 1909 courthouse serves as the main museum building and includes clothing and documents relating to the area’s history. On display are a vintage firetruck, antique cars, carriages and farm equipment. Allow 1 hour. The museum is open daily between July and August from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. the rest of the year. Admission fee.