The 14,000 person town (2019) of Strathmore is 40 km east of Calgary, on the Trans-Canada Highway, and is fast becoming a bedroom community for Calgary. July 28, 1883 the Canadian Pacific Railway hit Strathmore during their one day track-laying record of 6.38 miles. The town was named by the project superintendent, a Scot named James Ross, who was assigning Scottish names to the sidings. In 1905, with the new irrigation system, the original hamlet of Strathmore was moved four miles north, to a new 5,600 foot railway siding there. This gave the town its nickname as “the town that moved”.
By 1906, irrigation made the area very attractive to settlers. The Canadian Pacific Railway began what became a world famous demonstration farm. It was both a model and an instructional tool for settlers, many of whom had never farmed in their homeland. 680 acres of the 2,000 acre demonstration farm was irrigated. Just east of the city is Eagle Lake (pictured below), a popular camping area for folks from nearby Calgary. And the town hall is set in Kinsmen Park with a beautiful pond (pictured at top)
Canadian All Girls Rodeo (early June), Strathmore High School Rodeo (mid June), Heritage Days (August Long weekend ) CPRA Sanctioned Pro Rodeo & GMC World Professional Chuckwagon Finals, plus Alberta Finals Annual Chili Cook-Off.