Search
image

Douglas First Nation

Xa'xtsa (Douglas First Nation) has two communities: Port Douglas, at the northern end of Little Harrison Lake, and Tipella on the west side of the Lillooet River. Port Douglas was the starting point on the famed Harrison-Lillooet wagon road to the Fraser River and on to the Cariboo gold fields

Be the first to review

Xa’xtsa (Douglas First Nation) The name ‘Port Douglas’ originates from the colonial period, when the town, one of the earliest to be established in British Columbia, was erected adjacent to the present First Nations community in 1858. It was the starting point on the famed Harrison-Lillooet wagon road, also known in historic times as the Douglas Portage. Thousands of miners from all over the world stopped in Port Douglas before undertaking on this less than comfortable trail, which led to the Fraser River and on to the Cariboo gold fields.

The Douglas First Nation, aka the Douglas Indian Band or Xa’xtsa Nation, are a band government as defined in the Indian Act, and a subgroup of the larger St’at’imc Tribe, also referred to as Lower Stl’atl’imx. The Douglas, Skatin and Samahquam communities are related through familial ties as well as culturally and linguistically.

Xa’xtsa is made up of two communities: Port Douglas, which is situated at the northern end of Little Harrison Lake, and Tipella which is on the west side of the Lillooet River.

image