Search
image

Kingfisher First Nation

The present reserve site of the Kingfisher Lake First Nation has utilized and preserved the rights to culture, fishing, gathering, hunting, language and trapping. In 1808 the Hudson's Bay Company established an outpost at Big Beaver House, which is located approximentely 12 kilometres southwest of the present Kingfisher Lake reserve.

Be the first to review

The Aboriginal homeland which surrounds the present reserve site of the Kingfisher Lake First Nation has ways been utilized and carefully preserved by local first nations people as their personal heritage. The rights to culture, fishing, gathering, hunting, language and trapping were granted to the first nations people by the great creator. Thus, as the original stewards of the lands in which their ancestors lived, the current residents treat this responsibility with great care and respect.

In 1808 the Hudson’s Bay Company established an outpost at Big Beaver House, which is located approximentely 12 kilometres southwest of the present Kingfisher Lake reserve. Big Beaver House was frequented by Kingfisher Lake people for trading fur, community activity and freight hauling employment.

During 1929 -1930 the leaders of Kingfisher Lake First Nation were required to gather at Big Trout Lake and participate in the siging of the adhesion to Treaty Number 9. As the result of this document, Kingfisher Lake was consider a part of Big Trout Lake Band.

image