• imageAccommodations
  • imageAir Travel
  • imageAirport Parking
  • imageAttractions
  • imageAutomotive
  • imageBed & Breakfasts
  • imageBoat Rentals or Charters
  • imageBuses or Shuttles
  • imageCafe
  • imageCampgrounds
  • imageCasinos
  • imageCinema
  • imageCraft Beer - Winery
  • imageCurrency Exchange
  • imageEmergency
  • imageEntertainment
  • imageFarmers Market
  • imageFestivals
  • imageFire Hall
  • imageFirst Nation
  • imageFlea market
  • imageFree
  • imageGolf Course
  • imageGovernment
  • imageHistorical
  • imageHospital
  • imageHostel
  • imageHotels
  • imageKids Amusement
  • imageLimousines
  • imageLong Term Rental
  • imageMarijuana /CBD
  • imageMarinas
  • imageMuseum / Gallery
  • imagePark
  • imagePolice
  • imagePublic Transit
  • imageRental Car
  • imageRestaurant
  • imageRV Rental
  • imageShopping
  • imageShopping District
  • imageShopping mall
  • imageSki Resort
  • imageSpa
  • imageSports & Recreation
  • imageSports Team
  • imageTaxi
  • imageTheatre
  • imageTour
  • imageTourist Services
  • imageTours & Tour Guides
  • imageTrain
  • imageTransit Hub
  • imageTransportation
  • imageTravel
  • imageTravel Info/Office
  • imageVacation Rental
  • imageWilderness Lodge

Lac Seul First Nation

This reserve is on the southeast shores of Lac Seul Lake and extends southward to the north shores of Lost Lake and is about 40 kilometres from the town of Sioux Lookout, about 65 kilometres from Whitefish Bay

Be the first to review

The current on-reserve population is about 860 with a total registered population of 3,372 (as of October 2015). Our people speak Ojibway, Oji-Cree and English. Our communities are found on the southeast shores of Lac Seul Lake and extends southward to the north shores of Lost Lake. This includes 66,248 acres of land. LSFN is about 40 kilometres from the town of Sioux Lookout, while Kejick Bay and Whitefish Bay are about 65 kilometres.

While inhabited for thousands of years by our ancestors, the earliest reference in historical journals was found in that of John Long, a fur trader in 1791. He reported that our ancestors called this territory “Obijikokaang” meaning Strait of the White Pines. Subsequently, the famous Hudson’s Bay Company set up the first all-year trading post at Lac Seul in 1803 and a more permanent post one in 1815. The area was then travelled and formally mapped by Edward Umpfreville, an explorer and fur trader in the late 1800’s. Our ancestors, along with other Saulteaux and Ojibway tribes in Northwestern Ontario signed Treaty #3 in 1873 at a place called Northwest Angle, not far from Fort Frances. By signing this treaty, our forefathers surrendered their vast traditional territories to the official representative of the Canadian government. In return, our forefathers received land called “reserves” as well as “treaty rights” or “treaty status.” The treaty was signed by Chief John Cromarty, which makes our reserve the oldest reserve in the Sioux Lookout district. By 1912, there were about 45 homes along the shoreline of what are now referred to as Kejick Bay and Whitefish Bay.