The community of God’s River was originally part of the God’s Lake First Nation. It was in the mid 1940’s that people moved from the God’s Lake Narrows to form the community of God’s River. Sources have indicated that separation of the communities was related to religious differences, while others contend it was for economic reasons. Ministerial Order formed the God’s River First Nation on May 7, 1976. Manto Sipi Cree Nation is a signatory to the Adhesion of Treaty 5, which was signed in 1909.
The God’s River First Nation is located 585 air kilometers northeast of Winnipeg. The community is located at the mouth of the God’s River along the north shoreline of God’s Lake.