What
image
  • imageAccommodations
  • imageAir Travel
  • imageAirport Parking
  • imageAttractions
  • imageAutomotive
  • imageBed & Breakfasts
  • imageBoat Rentals or Charters
  • imageBuses or Shuttles
  • imageCafe
  • imageCampgrounds
  • imageCasinos
  • imageCinema
  • imageCraft Beer - Winery
  • imageCurrency Exchange
  • imageEmergency
  • imageEntertainment
  • imageFarmers Market
  • imageFestivals
  • imageFire Hall
  • imageFirst Nation
  • imageFlea market
  • imageFree
  • imageGolf Course
  • imageGovernment
  • imageHistorical
  • imageHospital
  • imageHostel
  • imageHotels
  • imageKids Amusement
  • imageLimousines
  • imageLong Term Rental
  • imageMarijuana /CBD
  • imageMarinas
  • imageMuseum / Gallery
  • imagePark
  • imagePolice
  • imagePublic Transit
  • imageRental Car
  • imageRestaurant
  • imageRV Rental
  • imageShopping
  • imageShopping District
  • imageShopping mall
  • imageSki Resort
  • imageSpa
  • imageSports & Recreation
  • imageSports Team
  • imageTaxi
  • imageTheatre
  • imageTour
  • imageTourist Services
  • imageTours & Tour Guides
  • imageTrain
  • imageTransit Hub
  • imageTransportation
  • imageTravel
  • imageTravel Info/Office
  • imageVacation Rental
  • imageWilderness Lodge
Where
image
image

The Key First Nation

Traditionally living in the Shoal River in southwestern Manitoba, covered by the terms of Treaty 4 in 1874, and in 1880 moved to a better reserve at Fort Pelly, its current location.

Be the first to review

Since the middle of the 19th century, Chief The Key and his followers had resided in the vicinity of the Shoal River in southwestern Manitoba. Their homeland was part of the territory covered by the terms of Treaty 4 in 1874, although The Key Band did not adhere to treaty until September 1875. They had some ground under cultivation by the time of their adherence to treaty, and obtained reserve status in 1878, when some 31,000 acres of land were surveyed for them at Swan River. In 1880, officials of the Department of Indian Affairs declared that the likelihood of annual flooding made the location of the reserve unsuitable and the Band was relocated to the Fort Pelly district, about 90 miles to the southwest to its current location.

image