This 2000 person town was once the site of two rival fur trading posts, the North West Company and the X.Y. Company in 1801. Neither post lasted a year, and the first permanent settlement came in 1874. The town is named for Manitoba’s second lieutenant governor (1872 -1877), Alexander Morris who was also a member of Sir John A Macdonald’s federal cabinet and the first Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench in Manitoba.
Annual events include the Morris Ag-Expo (first weekend in June), Manitoba Stampede and Agricultural Exhibition (mid-July) one of the country’s largest rodeos.
Morris & District Centennial Museum
Main Street at junction of highways 75 and 23
204-746-2169 or 204-746-8512
Housed in an old schoolhouse, with displays of pioneer-era artifacts, farm tools, laundry and dairy equipment, and Indian arrowheads. A second building is furnished with turn to the century furniture and artifacts. Open daily from 2 pm – 5 pm and from 7 pm to 9 pm from June through August.