The town’s name comes from either the limestone ridge that runs through the town or for founding father S.J. Stonewall Jackson. The town’s limestone quarry was the chief industry in town from the 1880s through to 1967. The Stonewall Post Office was built in 1914 in prairie-style architecture using the local limestone, and is now used as a local art gallery. The town has many old stone buildings, and its pas is celebrated with the annual Quarry Days in August. The town has 5,000 residents (2016)
Stonewall Quarry Park
4 blocks north on Main Street
This park commemorates the important role of limestone to the town and its development. The interpretive centre has displays and slide shows, and the observation tower gives a panoramic view of the area. The grounds include a pathway, kilns, fossil deposits and wildlife. The park includes Kinsmen Lake, with a sandy swimming beach in summer and ice skating in winter. Visitor Centre open daily 11 am to 5 pm from May 1 to Labour Day, and 1pm to 5pm the remainder of the year. Admission.