Here are the top must-see attractions in Winnipeg:
Assiniboine Park Conservatory (SW)
Assiniboine Park, Park Blvd & Wellington Crescent
Assiniboine Park Conservatory features indoor gardens including a tropical palm house, with tropical trees, exotic plants and flowering plants in a garden setting, and is the longest established conservatory in Western Canada. The Conservatory includes displays of art works by local artists. The Conservatory and its restaurant can be booked for special events, dinners and photos. Open year round. Daily April 1 to September 30, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., October 1 to March 31.
Assiniboine Park Zoo (SW)
Assiniboine Park, Park Blvd & Wellington Crescent
The Zoo exhibits 1,200 animals of 275 different species. Native animals include polar bears, cougars, elk and bald eagles. Animals from around the world include the red panda, Afghanistan markhors, tigers, leopards and monkeys. The zoo is open year round, so many of the animals not able to withstand the cold of winter are housed indoors. A Tropical House housed several hundred free-flying birds and forest reptiles. The Kinsmen Discovery Centre features baby animals for young visitors. Zoo has Restaurants and a gift store. Open daily at 10:00 a.m. until dusk. Special seasonal events include December “Lights of the Wild” and October “Boo at the Zoo.” Admission charge.
Assiniboine Riverwalk (W)
Between Manitoba Legislature and The Forks
This 1 kilometre lighted pathway lies on the north shore of the Assiniboine River from the Forks to the Legislative Grounds. It is popular with both residents and tourists for its different perspective of the river and the city. The trail goes through Bonnycastle Park, McFadyen Park and the Legislative Grounds. Boat docking facilities available at the Forks Historic Port.
Centennial Centre (Dtn)
Rupert Avenue and Main Street.
The Concert Hall and Planetarium portions of the Centre were constructed during 1967, Canada’s Centennial Year. The Museum of Man and Nature and the Manitoba Theatre Centre Building were opened in 1970 to mark Manitoba’s Centennial. Tours arranged by appointment
Fort Whyte Centre For Environmental Education (SW)
1961 McCreary Road, just 5 kilometres south of Assiniboine Park
This wild oasis offers lakes, marshes, forests, self-guiding nature trails, wildlife, an Interpretive Centre with a fresh water aquarium. Waterfowl room has 20 species. Public programs, nature walks, picnics on weekends and holidays. School and group tours by arrangement. Open daily except December 25. Admission charge.
Golden Boy (Dtn)
Broadway & Osborne St
Atop the 240 foot high dome of the Legislative Building is one of the best known symbols of Manitoba. It faces north and the torch held up in his right hand represents economic development, while the sheaf of wheat in his left arm represents agriculture. The four metre (13 ½ foot) statue weighs five tons, was cast in bronze by the French sculptor Georges Gardet of Paris. It is now sheathed in 23 ½ carat gold.
Manitoba Legislative Building (Dtn)
Broadway and Osborne Street
The building was completed in 1920 of native Tyndall Stone, and accommodates the Legislative Chambers, the Lieutenant-Governor’s residence, offices of the Premier, Cabinet Ministers and some government departments. The grounds of the Legislative Building display statues of prominent persons, including Queen Victoria, Lord Selkirk, La Verendrye, Major-General James Wolfe, Lord Dufferin, Robert Burns, Sir George Etienne Cartier, and others. On the banks of the Assiniboine River stands a monument of Louis Riel, Metis leader. Guided tours are available Canada Day through labour Day 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; the remainder of the year weekdays by appointment.
Leo Mol Sculpture Garden (SW)
In Assiniboine Park, 2355 Corydon Avenue (also by footbridge from Portage Avenue)
Assiniboine Park has the only sculpture garden in North American dedicated to the works of a single artist, Winnipeger Leo Mol. The garden, gallery and gift shop was opened in 1992 and feature bronze sculptures, porcelains, paintings and sketches. It attracts over 250,000 visitors a year. Open daily, year round. Gallery and Studio open 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. seasonally May 31st to September 1st. Free Admission.
Lombard Place (Dtn)
Portage Avenue and Main Street
This is a 4 ½ acre site at Winnipeg’s famous corner. The complex includes the 34-storey Richardson Building, the Westin Hotel, a Bank of Canada building and Winnipeg’s first underground concourse with thirty stores and services, and a 600 car garage.
PanAm Swimming Pool (SW)
25 Poseidon Bay, between Grant and Taylor Avenues
This facility was completed for use in the 1967 Pan-American Games in Winnipeg, and contains one of the largest indoor bodies of water in the world. The Pan-Am Pool is known as being “fast” among competitive swimmers and has been the site of many records. The 22 metre (75 foot) by 69 metre (225 foot) pool features a 1.5 metre-wide movable bulkhead to separate the teaching section from the swimming and diving sections. The building also has fitness facilities, weight rooms, a running track, a kiddie pool and the Aquatic Hall of Fame Museum of Canada. Public swimming is available year-round.
“Prairie Dog Central” Steam Train (SW)
Inkster Junction – Prairie Dog Central Station
1661 Portage Avenue, just west of St.James Street
Mailing: Vintage Locomotive Society Inc.
PO Box 33021, RPO Polo Park
Winnipeg, MB R3G 3N4
The Prairie Dog Central steam train offers a 36-mile turn-of-the-century vintage steam train excursion from Winnipeg to Grosse Isle. It departs from the C.N.R., close to Polo Park shopping centre (courtesy parking at 1661 Portage Avenue). Trains run Sundays from June to September, leaving at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. (subject to change without prior notice) with a trip time of 2-½ hours. No reserved tickets.
Red River Floodway (NE)
Along Highway 59 north of Birds Hill
During flood periods, part of the flow of the Red River is diverted around the city and discharged back into the river below the dam at Lockport. Long stretches of this 30 mile flood control channel for Greater Winnipeg can be seen at close range.
Royal Canadian Mint (SE)
520 Lagimodière Boulevard (Trans-Canada Highway at Route 59)
The Winnipeg plant produces all of the circulation coinage for Canada (as well as many foreign countries). See the production process from the tour gallery. Guided tours offered May to August (inclusive), weekdays from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.; and September to April weekdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (closed statutory holidays). Admission charge. Tours over 10 people by appointment.
Winnipeg Art Gallery (Dtn)
300 Memorial Boulevard, Winnipeg
Collection of contemporary, historical and decorative art from Canada and European masters, plus the world’s largest collection of contemporary Inuit art. Gallery hosts guided tours, lectures, films, concerts, and studio art classes. The Gallery is closed Mondays. Open Tuesday though Sunday 11 am. – 5 pm.; Wednesdays late until 9 pm. Summer hours: open daily early at 10 am., June through August. Admission charge, with free admission on Wednesdays.
Winnipeg Commodity Exchange (Dtn)
400 – 360 Main Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3Z4
(204) 925-5000 Fax: (204) 943-5448
Formed in 1887, the Exchange has been the only agricultural futures exchange in Canada for over 100 years. Watch the hustle and bustle of the brokers in action on the trading floor from the visitors’ gallery of one of the oldest, most vibrant exchanges in the world. Visitor’s Gallery is open to all, weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Winnipeg Convention Centre (Dtn)
375 York Avenue
(204) 956-1720 or 1-800-565-7776 Events Info (204) 943-1961
The Winnipeg Convention Centre has three levels, including a pillar-less 78,000 square foot exhibition hall with a 30 foot open grid ceiling that will accommodate exhibits up to 50 feet high. The ground floor has meeting rooms for up to 2,500 people, a cocktail lounge, VIP salon, and catering facilities for up to 5,000 people. There is also a second level shopping mall, restaurant and cafeteria, underground parking and skywalks to an adjoining major hotel and office complex.
Winnipeg International Airport (W)
International Airport is the oldest international airport in Canada, and only 4.5 miles (7 km) from the city’s downtown . It was opened in 1928, originally named Stevenson Field, after a noted Manitoba aviator. The airport serves both civil and military aircraft with world class general aviation facilities. The airport operates on a 24-hour basis and processes more than 2.5 million passengers and 130,000 tonnes of cargo annually.