At the very southern end of Route 10, is the town of Trepassey, a name that means ‘the dead’ or ‘the dead souls’ in old Basque spoken by the Basques fishermen so prominent along the Newfoundland coast in the 16th century. Trepassey was the site of an unsuccessful Welsh colony in the 1620s. More recently, several transatlantic flights including a 1928 crossing by William S. Stultz and Lou Gordon, with passenger Amelia Earhart, who became the first woman to fly the Atlantic (in 1932, she piloted her solo trans-Atlantic flight from nearby Harbour Grace).

There are three excellent rivers in this area – North East Brook, North West Brook, and Biscay Bay River, which offer good fishing during July and August, and attract herds of caribou close to the highway.

Trepassey Attractions

Cape Pine Lighthouse Federal Heritage Structure

Trepassey, Route 10
General Delivery
St. Shotts, NL, A0A 3R0

This lighthouse, put in operation on January 1, 1851, is a 20-metre circular cast iron tower, owned by the Coast Guard and destaffed in 1996.

Trepassey Museum

Trepassey, Route 10
P.O. Box 63
Trepassey, NL, A0A 4B0

The Trepassey Museum has many artifacts that tell about the history of the area: Amelia Earhart’s visit,
American flying boat, shipwreck, artifacts, and many artifacts that show the strong Roman Catholic influence in the area.
Jul 01 – Aug 31

Trepassey Newfoundland Area Map