This town of 3000, like its British namesake is at the mouth of the Mersey River. Samuel de Champlain landed here in 160, but it was only in 1759 that 70 Connecticut families established a town here. The Old Fort Point Lighthouse was built in 1855, and now houses an interpretive centre.

Other Links

Liverpool Attractions

Coffin Island Lighthouse

Coffin Island is located on the South point of an island of the same name, Northeast of the entrance to the Mersey River and Liverpool Harbour . The nearest mainland viewing point is the beach at Beach Meadows, between Eagle Head and Brooklyn.

Fort Point Lighthouse Park

Highway 331
902 688-2696

On the site where deMonts and Champlain landed in 1604, a Privateers’ fort defended the town and the trading routes in the 18th century. The uniquely shaped lighthouse here has stood since 1855 (one of the oldest in Nova Scotia) and is open to visitors. Heritage of the “Port of the Privateers” is displayed in the interpretive panels, models, audio-visual presentations, boardwalk. Admission free, by donations. Allow one hour. Open May 1 to October 31 daily 10 am – 5 pm.

Hank Snow Country Music Centre

Junction of Hwy 3 & 8
902 354-8675

A renovated CN railway station, less than 3.5 km (2 mi) from Hank’s childhood home with audio-visual displays, artifacts and memorabilia on the history and heritage of Canadian country music, featuring the legendary Hank Snow. Country music archives and library. Special exhibit on local railroading history at the railway ticket office. Admission fee. Allow an hour. Open May 20 to October 14 Mon-Sat 9-6, and Tues-Fri 10-5; Sat noon-5 the remainder of the year.

Liverpool Historical Walking Tours

902-354-5741 or 1-800-655-5741

Explore the rich privateering past of Liverpool through this self-guided 3/4-hour walking tour of 31 homes and sites in our 1700s town, complete with descriptions. Brochures available year-round from the Queens County Museum and the Liverpool Visitor Information Centre.

Milton Blacksmith Shop Museum

{351 West Street, corner of Bridge & West Street, Milton (4 km west of Liverpool)
Box 572 Milton, NS B0T 1P0 (902) 350-0268

The museum is a turn-of-the-century smithy, housing hundreds of artifacts found on site, as well as many donated items. Tools and equipment associated with the blacksmithing and farrier trades are on display in various work stations. These include the metalworking and woodworking benches, the forge and the horse and ox shoeing areas (complete with ox sling). Also on display is a large collection of historical photos of Milton. Open June-August, Mon-Fri 10:00 am-4:30 pm, Sat-Sun 1:30 pm-4:30 pm; September to mid-October, Mon-Fri 9:00 am-noon, 1:00 pm-4:00 pm. Admission fee,

Perkins House Museum

105 Main St, Liverpool
902 354-4058

The oldest house in the Nova Scotia Museum collection was built in 1766 for Simeon Perkins, a Connecticut native who came to Nova Scotia in 1762. He became one of Liverpool’s leading citizens, a merchant and shipowner whose boats fished off Labrador and traded in the West Indies, a Colonel of the local militia, Judge of Probate, Justice of the Court Common Pleas and Member of the Legislative Assembly. Perkins also kept a remarkable diary in which he recorded events in his large family’s life such as their vaccinations for smallpox, just at the period when this procedure was first being used. Open June 1 – Oct 15: Mon-Sat 9:30 am to 5:30, and Sun 1-5:30 pm. Allow 30 minutes. Admission by donation.

Queens County Museum

109 Main St, Liverpool
902 354-4058

Located beside the Perkins House, this building represents the warehouse of Simeon Perkins’ business. See permanent exhibits about forestry, shipbuilding, Mi’kmaq life, and privateering. A working model railroad represents the county rail lines. The Thomas Raddall Research Room houses the library and genealogical data of the Queens County Historical Society. Allow 30 minutes. Open year round: June 1 to Oct 15 Mon-Sat 9:30 – 5:30, Dun 1 – 5:30 pm; Remainder of the year open Mon-Sat 9-5. Free admission, plus research fee. Donations welcome

Sherman Hines Museum of Photography & Art Galleries

219 Main Street, Liverpool
902 354-2667

In Liverpool’s historic Town Hall, see the only photographic museum east of Montreal. Artifacts dating from the beginnings of photography in the Maritimes. See vintage photographs by Karsh, Notman, MacAskill, Hines, and others. First camera and first photographs by scenic photographer Sherman Hines. Art galleries include folk art, oil paintings, fine art photography, and monthly shows by Canadian artists. The Photography Research Centre holds an extensive collection of photographic books and images. Admission free, donations welcome. Allow 1 hour. Open May 1 to December 23 Mon – Sat 10 – 5:30

The Old Burial Ground

Main Street, Liverpool

The earliest burial ground in Liverpool (1760) is the resting place for several of the town’s first proprietors. Extensive restoration has taken place recently and all stones have been researched and documented. Tours with costumed animators are offered several times during the summer. Open year-round.

Thomas Raddall Genealogy Research Centre

109 Main Street,
Box 1078, Liverpool, NS, B0T 1K0

In the Queens County Museum. The most extensive records of the Mayflower descendants in Nova Scotia. Vital statistics from Simeon Perkins’ diary, and from mid-1700s to present. New England and German records. Over 300 reels of microfilm. The centre was designed for the Family historian, with genealogies of over 1500 Queens County names, compiled by the late T.B. Smith, 500 surname files, Queens County marriages, etc. Research $5/day. Open year-round: June 1-Oct 15, Mon-Sat 9:30 am-5:30 pm, Sun 1-5:30 pm; off-season: Mon-Sat 9 am-5 pm.

Liverpool, Nova Scotia Area Map