The community was named for Richard John Uniacke, and Irish aristocrat and adventurer
who became Nova Scotia’s Attorney General in 1797, and served in that post until he died.
He liked the area because it resembled his native Ireland.
Chapel by the Wayside
Etter Rd, Mount Uniacke
Small rural church dating back to 1831, which was the first Uniacke Township school
and meeting house. See historical photos. Open Sundays 2pm-5pm from June 1 to Labour Day. Admission free.
Uniacke Estate Museum Park
758 Main Road, Mount Uniacke
(Hwy 101, exit 3 to Rte 1)
902 866-2560 866-0032
Richard John Uniacke grew up in Ireland and wanted his country property “Mount Uniacke” to be a working farm like the country estates he knew back home. In 1813-1815, he built a large Georgian-style house, a main barn, a coach house, a grain barn, a guest house, a wash house, baths, a privy, a hot house, caretaker’s house, and an ice house. Most of the land wasn’t suitable for farming but he had some sheep, cows, and horses as well as fields of turnips and potatoes. There are six trails on the 2300 acres estate. Allow at least 30 minutes. Open June 1 to October Mon-Sat 9:30-5:30 and Sun 22-5:30. Trails open daily dawn-dusk.
South Rawdon Museum
1761 Lakelands-Rawdon Rd
Mount Uniacke, NS, B0N 2N0
This 1867 building was the Sons of Temperance Hall. Exhibited items include many in everyday use in this farming and lumbering community in the 19th century: a house-fly trap, a rock-a-bye, a cone-sugar cutter. Some genealogical records, school records, and a record of births and deaths 1864-1878. An 1880 wedding gown and an afternoon gown. Free admission, donations welcome. Open daily June 3 to Labour Day