Tucked away on the Northern Shore of the Minas Basin, approximately 50 kilometres (30 miles) from the Trans-Canada highway, less that two hours drive to the airports of Moncton and Halifax. The area was explored by Samuel de Champlain.. In 1776, a 2000 acre grant of land to Messrs. Avery, Bacon and Lockhart was given on condition that they operate a passenger & cattle ferry connecting Partridge Island (the original settlement) to Windsor (which ran until the end of World War II). The settlement being renamed in 1784 in honour of Governor Parr, who was the current Governor of Nova Scotia. At the turn of the 20th century, Parrsboro was second only to Halifax in the number of Canadian east coast sailing ships. With the emergency landing of the Handley-Page airplane “Atlantic” in October 1919, the repaired “Atlantic” carried the first international air mail from Canada to the United States.

Parrsboro gives a view of the world’s highest tides, which here run 40 to 50 metres (131 to 164 ft) twice a day. You can view the tides from Glooscap Park, Partridge Island or Government Pier.

Summer attractions include Old Home Week and Nova Scotia’s Gem and Mineral Show. Enjoy “Tea with the Mayor” every Friday in July and August at the VIC. Listen to our own Parrsboro Citizen’s Band occasionally on Sunday nights throughout the summer.

Cumberland Country


Age Of Sail Heritage Centre

{8335 Hwy 209 Ward’s Brook, approx. 23 km west of Parrsboro}
Box 14, Port Greville, NS B0M 1T0
phone/ fax (902) 348-2030

The Centre overlooks the tidal Greville River, pays tribute to the lumbering and shipbuilding heritage of the communities along the Minas Channel. Exhibits include pictures, videos, models, artifacts and hands-on exhibits, and an interesting collection of shipbuilders tolls and hand crafted model ships. Visit the blacksmith shop, the Port Greville Lighthouse and the gift shop & tearoom, or take a walk along the beautiful beaches and riverbanks. T The resident genealogist can assist with local genealogical records. he Centre was recipient of the Lieutenant’s Governor’s Award for Architectural Design and the FNSH Heritage Built Award 1995. Operated by: Greville Bay Shipbuilding Museum Society, Open May 19-20 & May 25-26: Sat & Sun 10:00 am-6:00 pm; June 1-September 30: daily 10:00 am-6:00 pm; subject to change remainder of year by appointment. Admission, with tour group rates.

Fundy Geological Museum

162 Two Islands Rd, Parrsboro, NS B0M 1S0
(in the centre of town)

This important and exciting Museum exhibits minerals (including Nova Scotia amethyst), Triassic and Jurassic fossils from the nearby Minas Basin, and models that help the visitor explore prehistoric landscape and life in the Bay of Fundy region. The Museum is set against a natural backdrop featuring the world’s highest tides, rich mineral deposits, and the famous fossil cliffs. Open year-round: June 1 – Oct 15 daily 9:30 to 5:30 pm; rest of year Tues-Sat 9 – 5. Admission.

Parrsboro Rock & Mineral Shop & Museum

39 Whitehall Rd, Parrsboro
Internationally known fossil collector Eldon George displays rare fossils of prehistoric dinosaurs, reptiles, amphibians. See the world’s smallest dinosaur footprint. Nova Scotia gemstones and minerals. Prospectors’ supplies, books and maps available. Daily tours for no charge. Open May 1 to October 31

Kipawo Heritage Society

Box 242, Parrsboro, NS B0M 1S0
(902) 254-2388 or 254-3245 (office)

Devoted to the preservation and restoration of the M.V. Kipawo a 113-foot car & passenger ferry used in the Minas Basin and Newfoundland waters from 1926 to 1977, the oldest continually-operated ferry vessel in Canada. The Kipawo is also one of four known vessels still extant from Canada’s World War II navy. The Ship’s Company Theatre presents theatrical presentations in July and August aboard the Kipawo. Visitors welcome to view the restoration. Admission free, donations welcome

Ottawa House By The Sea Museum

1155 Whitehall Rd
{just 2 miles along harbour from Parrsboro, SE of town via Main St }
Box 98, Parrsboro, NS B0M 1S0
902 254-2376

This building was constructed around 1790 by original settlers, and at one-time was the home of a Father of Confederation and 1896 Prime Minister, Sir Charles Tupper. Displays cover the area’s shipbuilding history, and maritime heritage. Open June 15 – Sept 15 daily 10 – 6. Admission,  with children under 12 free.

Parrsboro, Nova Scotia Area Map