Initially a fur-trading post, built by French fur trader Charles de Sainte-Etienne La Giraudiere in 1655. Its location on the St Mary’s River give it a competitive advantage. In 1861, when gold was discovered, the town boomed for 20 years. Today, the village of 400 is popular with hunters and anglers.
Hwy 7, south of Sherbrooke
See a restored 1860s mining and lumbering town, with 32 buildings dating back to the gold rush that brought Sherbrooke instant prosperity. Features a blacksmith shop, water-powered sawmill, general store, ambrotype photography studio, and a tea room. Observe a number of traditional handicrafts including weaving, pottery, and wood turning. Open June 1 – Oct.15 daily 9:30 to 5:30. Admission fee.