Shubenacadie means “place where wild potatoes grow”, and has been home to central Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq Indians. In 1737, Abbe le Loutre, sent the Society of Foreign Missions, established their headquarters an built a large Indian lodge and a cemetery, which is still visible.
Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park
149 Creighton Road, Shubenacadie
(Off Highway 102, Exit 11)
Box 299, Shubenacadie, NS B0N 2H0
A 50-acre wildlife park set in natural woodlands. Shaded paths offer opportunities to view many native animals and birds and a few exotic species. There are wild animals in the park, so children should be accompanied by adults. Creighton Forest Environment Centre at the entrance to the park, provides static and interactive displays on wildlife & their habitats, forest management & protection, tree growth and wetlands photographic exhibit of the animals in the winter. Large picnic park with running water. Park open May 15 to October 15 daily 9 – 7. Admission fee.
The Little White School House
This 1850 one-room schoolhouse was in operation until 1963. Old desks, books, registers, and local artifacts are displayed. Joshua Slocum was an early pupil. Open year-round. By chance or appointment
Stewiacke Valley Museum
5445 Hwy 289, 27km from exit 12, Hwy 102
Upper Stewiacke, NS B0N 2P0
Housed in former 1886 Upper Stewiacke Community Hall, this museum houses a collection of 1200 photographs of places and early families in the Stewiacke Valley area, quilts made in the valley, including one in progress during the summer months. Over 5,000 accessioned artifacts are displayed are in furnished rooms depicting a pioneer homestead, classroom, workshop, general store and Doctor’s office. Operated by: Stewiacke Valley Historical Society. Open July 1-mid September Wed, Sat, Sun 1:30 pm-4:30 pm . Admission free, donations welcome