This town, of 12,000 was originally settled by Acadians and later by the Scottish and English, who built a strong dairy industry. The town is hoe to the Nova Scotia Agricultural College, which has an experimental farm and gardens. Bible Hill, across the river is home to the Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition Raceway with harness racing & betting year-round. 1000 acre Victoria Park has woodlands with waterfalls, hiking trails, swimming pool and other recreational facilities. You can see the tidal bore rushing up the Salmon River twice a day. The best spot is Tidal Bore Road, off Highway 102 at Exit 14.
Truro’s Festival of Lights Sponsored by Truro Development Corp.(902 895-9258.). Tulip Festival over a four-day festival in late May featuring over 350,000 tulips, a two-day craft market and entertainment around the Civic Square (902 895 9258)). Truro Canada Day, on July 1 Festivities all day at Victoria Park (902 893-8786).
Acres of the Golden Pheasant
275 Greenfield Road, Truro, NS B2N 5B2
Over 50 species of birds, including pheasants, peacocks, parakeets, finches and doves. Operated by the Zwanepol family. Tropical birds are housed indoors in the winter months. Admission, Children no charge Open year-round: daily, dawn-dusk
Colchester Historical Society Museum
29 Young St, Truro,
Box 412, Truro, NS B2N 5C5
(902) 895-6284 fax (902) 895-9530
Exhibits depict the human and natural history of Colchester County, from antiquity to the present day, together with a variety of temporary and traveling exhibits. Genealogical resources, some from the earliest days of settlement, cover Colchester and surrounding counties. See individual family and community histories, vital stats, census records, photographs and scrapbook collection. Photocopier and microfilm readers are available for public use. Local history and genealogy publications are for sale. Admission adults $2, children 50¢ Open year-round. From June 1-August 31 Mon-Fri 10:00 am-5:00 pm, Sat-Sun 2:00-5:00 pm, and from September 1-May 31 Mon closed, Tues-Fri 10:00 am-noon, 2:00-5:00 pm, Sat 2:00-5:00 pm, Sun closed
Hants East Historical Museum
RR 1 Maitland, NS B0N 1T0 (about 25 km south of Truro via #236)
(in former United Church, Lower Selma)
mailing address: c/o Olive Terris, 109 Park Street, Truro, NS B2N 3J5
Original 1865 Presbyterian church has a unique painted interior of decorative plaster by itinerant artist Lewis Baillie of Newport (possibly his only surviving work). Has a collection of Titanic objects, native artifacts, historical items from farms, WWI & WW2, sea, rural education and genealogy. Operated by: Hants East Historical Society. Pen June-August daily 9:30 am-5:30 pm. Admission free, donations welcome
Lawrence House Museum
8660 Hwy 215, Maitland (southwest of Truro)
RR#1, Maitland, Hants Co.
902-424-6478 Fax 902-424-0560
Built about 1870, it overlooked William Lawrence’s shipbuilding yard on Cobequid Bay, so Lawrence could work on ship plans and watch his ships being built. Lawrence House is representative of the homes of Nova Scotia’s prosperous small-town shipbuilders, owners and captains in the Golden Age of Sail. The house has two large formal Victorian parlours and many other rooms, filled with original furnishings from William Lawrence’s day. Here. In 1874 more than 4,000 people came to Maitland to witness the launching of the William D. Lawrence, the largest full-rigged ship ever built in Canada. Open June 1-Oct. 15: Mon.-Sat. 9:30 am-5:30 pm, Sun. 1 pm-5:30 pm. Admission: Adult $3/Child (6-17) $2, Children under 6 are free/Family $7/Seniors $2
Little White School House Museum
20 Arthur St, Truro,
Box 1252, Truro, NS B2N 5N2
On the former Nova Scotia Teachers College campus, the original Riverton School, Section 9, commemorates schoolhouses in Nova Scotia from Confederation to the 1950s. Contains books and artifacts from the era of the one-room schoolhouse, and photos of graduates of the Provincial Normal School and College. Open year-round: June 1-August 31 Mon-Fri 10:00 am-6:00 pm; September-May Tues 9:00 am-noon and by appointment. Admission free, donations welcome.
Londonderry Mines Museum
Londonderry, NS B0M 1M0
An exhibit of tools, equipment, ore samples, photos and documents relating to the first major iron and steel industry in Eastern Canada. Call for appointment, No admission charge.
Maud’s Place, The Putnam House
624, Route 2
PO Box 323, Brookfield NS B0N 1C0
(902) 673-2780 (summer) (902) 673-2451 (year-round)
Maud’s Place, a Cape Cod style home built in the early 1800’s, was a stop for Hiram Hyde’s Stagecoach service in the mid-1800’s. It was owned by various people before Ernest and Maud Putnam acquired the property when they married in 1911. Exhibits include photographs, features the journey of Maud’s sister, a nurse named Harriet. Harriet who travelled by ocean steamer in 1922 to Honolulu, Hawaii, where she helped establish the Shriners Children’s Hospital. Genealogy information on the Putnam and McCollum families. A shop features local crafts. Open June 15-September 15 Mon-Sat 10:00 am-5:00 pm, Sun closed.
N.S. Provincial Exhibition
In Bible Hill Exhibition Grounds, across the river from Truro. Enjoy harness racing at its finest. Dining and lounge facilities in the glass-enclosed grandstand. Ample parking. Season: Open year-round. Races Sun at 1pm.
N.S. Provincial Exhibition Raceway
In Bible Hill Exhibition Grounds, across the river from Truro, on Rhyland Ave. Harness racing at its finest. Dining and lounge facilities in glass-enclosed grandstand. Ample parking. Races Sun at 1pm. Open year-round.