skip to Main Content

Old Fort Erie

The Town of Fort Erie has 27,183 people living on 168 square kilometers located along the Northeastern shore of Lake Erie at the Southern mouth of the Niagara River. Fort Erie has small town flavour with big city amenities from the City of Buffalo, New York just across the International Peace Bridge. The community is surrounded by fertile farmland, is home to several golf courses, and there are several popular beaches along the Lake Erie, popular with sailors and windsurfers.

Town of Fort Erie

Public Beach at Fort Erie, on the Friendship Trail

Friendship Trail

The Friendship Trail extends for 16 km east from the country village of Ridgeway across picturesque Six Mile Creek, and through quiet residential streets, connecting waterfront parks along Lake Erie to historic Old Fort Erie, with views of the Buffalo Skyline, and to the Niagara River Recreation Trail along the Niagara River. Free Parking is available in parking lots off Ridge Road, Crescent Road, and Lakeshore Road. Ridgeway, at the westerly end of the Trail, has ample parking and a wide variety of commercial facilities and eating establishments. Lake Erie Access is found at Burleigh Rd, Windmill Point Rd, Stone Mill Rd, and Crescent Rd.

Much of the trail is built upon an abandoned rail line, and is relatively level and smooth and in summer is used by walkers, hikers, cyclists and rollerbladers, and in winter by hikers and cross-country skiers. The trail is also wheelchair accessible. The Friendship Trail forms the southerly link of the Greater Niagara Circle Route, a 150km multi-use trail system at the east end of the Niagara Peninsula. The Friendship Trail is also part of the Lake Ontario Waterfront Trail – connecting to Trenton, Ontario, and the 17,000 km Transportation-Canada Trail system.

Niagara Parks Marina

Box 150., Niagara Falls, ON
(905) 356-2241

8 km north of the Peace Bridge, along the scenic Niagara Parkway Originally a 1903 shipyard owned by the Canadian Ship Building Company, bought by the Niagara Parks Commission in 1957, with docks added in 1965 with gas pump and berths for 54 boats, expanded in 1975 to 135 slips. The only public Marina on the Canadian side of the Niagara River. Boat launch ramp, picnic area , snack bar and gift shop, showers, washrooms.

Stevensville Conservation Area

Sodom Rd (RR 116) to Main St. to west on Ott Rd. Fort Erie
905-788-3135

Access this 49-hectare site on Ott Road, just north of Main Street. Stroll through this area’s Carolinian forest, meandering Black Creek and wetland to appreciate nature.

Fort Erie, Ontario Area Map

Back To Top
LATEST NEWS