This pretty town on Kemptville Creek just so99uth of the south branch of the Rideau River was the home of G Howard Ferguson, a former premier of Ontario. Originally called Clothier’s Mills, for Lymann Clothier who settled here in 1812 with his four sons. The town was named in 1828 for Sir James Kempt, who was the lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia from 1820-1828 and administrator of the Governor of Canada from 1828-1930. The area is very quiet and agricultural in nature.
Our Pick of Useful Links:
University of Guelph – Kemptville Campus
830 Prescott St.
Kemptville, Ontario K0G 1J0
613-258-8336 Fax: 613-258-8384
Established in 1917 as a College of Agriculture. Tours are offered of the campus, with its dairy and beef herds, and its horticultural section.
Reservations required. Best time for tours is mid-May to August.
G Howard Ferguson Forestry Station
275 County Rd. 44, R.R 4
Kemptville, ON K0G 1J0
Toll Free: 1-888-791-1103 Fax: 613-258-0207
Self-guided tours of the nursery and its nature trails. Slide presentations and other tree nursery activities throughout the year. Call for reservations. Open weekdays, year-round.