Here are the most popular “must-see” attractions in the Mississauga, Brampton and Peel area (in alphabetical order):
Olde Baseline Road, just north of Cheltenham, and also near Inglewood
The Cheltenham Badlands is a natural anomaly in the Caledon hills, near the base of the Niagara Escarpment, just west of the Caledon Golf and Country Club. The Badlands peeking out of the Caledon hills feature beautiful red and grey shale exposed by extensive erosion of shale and clay slopes caused by human activity following deforestation & overgrazing of the area. More recently, large numbers of tourists combing the area have added to the erosion. Since 2000, the Cheltenham Badlands became provincial lands and are co-managed by the Bruce Trail Association and Caledon Countryside Alliance.
NOTE: In order to protect the sensitive environment of this site from degradation, visitors are requested to respect the following: no sliding, no digging, stay on the flat area in the vicinity of the interpretative sign, stay off during wet conditions, no tobogganing, no motorized vehicles.
Mississauga’s Waterfront Trail
450 km (280 miles) long and runs along the shores of Lake Ontario, from Niagara-on-the-Lake all the way up to Brockville, Ontario. In Mississauga, the 22 km (15-mile) trail stretches from Etobicoke Creek through to the Oakville border. Rattray Marsh Conservation Area lets visitors get close to nature and wildlife. At Jack Darling Park, you can try your hand at windsurfing or canoeing, soak up the sun on the beach, hit the tennis courts, play a game of baseball or cool off at the splash pad. Lakefront Promenade, off Lakeshore Rd E (between Carwthra and Dixie) by the Lakeview Generating Station provides boaters a ramp and a marina.
J.C. Saddington Park
53 Lake St, Mississauga, ON L5B 3Y3
Avid fishermen like this park at the mouth of the Credit River, which is rich in Chinook salmon and steelhead, as well as coho, pink and Atlantic salmon. Each year nearly 25,000 chinook salmon and 10,000 steelhead fill the river, providing ample chances to make that perfect catch.
Donald M. Gordon Chinguacousy Park
9050 Bramalea Rd, Brampton, ON L6S 6G7
Chinguacousy Park is home to many events and celebrations with a band shell for concerts and a popular greenhouse, chapel and botanical garden. For sports-minded, it has Brampton’s own ski hill for skiing, snowboarding, snowblading, tubing and tobogganing; a curling rink with licensed lounge; volleyball courts; tennis courts; skateboard park; sports fields; paddleboats; a barn complete with a petting zoo and pony rides; mini golf; batting cage; tennis courts; children’s splash pool and picnic shelters.
Great War Flying Museum
13691 McLaughlin Road, Cheltenham, ON L7C 2B2
firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.greatwarflyingmuseum.com
The museum exhibits a collection of full-sized flying replicas of WWI fighter planes and artifacts from WWI. Experience the thrill of seeing these fighter planes in action at their popular flying show in September. Talk to the volunteers who build, maintain and fly these “magnificent flying machines”, and enjoy the museum’s collection. Seasonal: May 24 – October 31 o Sat. & Sun. 11 am – 5 pm.
Humber Nurseries Butterfly Conservatory
14905 Bramalea Rd, Caledon East, ON L7C 2R5
S. of Queen St. on Hwy 50, west side
The Butterfly Conservatory is home to 30 species of native butterflies, plus the migrating Monarch. A 4,500 square foot mesh-enclosed house has been created with all the essential food plants for butterflies. Beautiful display gardens include floral baskets, potted annuals, perennials and herbs are introduced throughout the summer to ensure a constant source of nourishment.
Peel County Jail
9 Wellington St. E.
Brampton, ON L6W 1Y1
905-791-4055, Fax: 905-451-4931
The former 1867 Peel County Courthouse and Jail alongside Highway 10 and once fronted the Etobicoke Creek. This provincial heritage structure with imposing limestone walls and barred windows was the home of the County government for 100 years, and the venue for three hangings between 1909 and 1946. It was last used as a jail in 1977, the building sat vacant until renovated in 1985. It is now filled with colourful exhibitions and activities.