Here are the most popular museums in the Oshawa-Durham & Kawartha region:
Cathedral Of St. Peter-In-Chains
411 Reid Street, PO Box 175
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 6Y8
On the NE corner of Hunter St. and Reid St., Peterborough
705 745-4681, Fax 705 745-9258
The parish of St. Peter-in-Chains was established in 1826 to serve the large Irish Catholic population of the surrounding Robinson Settlement. This building, in the Gothic Revival style was erected in 1837-1838 from stone from nearby Jackson’s Creek, is one of the oldest remaining Catholic churches in Ontario. In 1882, when the Diocese of Peterborough was created St. Peter’s was designated a cathedral, and was extensively renovated and enlarged. Although altered on various occasion, St. Peter-in-Chains has retained its original elegance and imposing form. Open for Mass Saturday: 5 pm and Sunday: 8:30, 10, and 11:30 am.
Cedardale United Church
824 Simcoe St S, Oshawa, ON L1H 4K6
Built in 1857 as the public school for Cedardale, one of Oshawa’s first residential settlements, and was bought from the city in the 1920’s by George McLaughlin. It was donated to and continues to serve as the Cedardale United Church. Open to public on Sundays.
Hay Bay Church
2365 South Shore Rd., R.R.#2
South side of Hay Bay
Napanee, Ontario, K7R 3K7
(613) 373-2877 Fax : (613) 373-8816
The 1792 Old Hay Bay Church in Adolphustown is a National Historic Site as Canada’s oldest Methodist building. The second oldest church in Ontario. Open during the summer, July 1st to Labour Day.
Loyalist Memorial Church
St. Alban the Martyr, Adolphustown
Plaque marks the local Anglican congregation that dates back to 1784,with
its first church built in 1822, at the present Church of St. Alban the Martyr.
Quakers of Adolphustown Burying Grounds
North of Adolphustown and Dorland, on the South Shore of Hay Bay
One of the province’s oldest Quaker settlements, dating back to 1784.
Simcoe Street United Church
66 Simcoe Street South
Oshawa, Ontario, L1H 4G3
Built in the year of Confederation in the Gothic Revival style for a Methodist congregation, this church has Lancet-arched openings and a polygonal spire with pinnacles and dormers embellish the exterior. A Casavant organ, 36 foot high ornamental timber arches and a pressed-tin ceiling dominate the interior. Open Saturdays the public.
St. George’s Memorial Church
39 Athol St West L1H 1J5
905-723-7875 fax 905-723-7038
Built in 1924, the same year that Oshawa became a city, St. George’s was designed by Eden Smith, the famous Arts and Craft architect, it is constructed of Credit Valley Sandstone in the Old English Gothic Revival style. The buttresses, gothic tracery and lancet-arched windows are noteworthy. The tower houses a 15- bell carillon. Open Saturday 12 to 4 pm, Sunday 1 to 4pm
The Friends’ Meeting House on Quaker Hill
West side of the 6th Concession, just south of Durham Road 8.
Erected in 1820, replacing an 1809 log structure on the same site. The hand-hewn timber is still in good repair today. Admission by donation. Many beautiful weddings are held in the Meeting House.
760 King Street West, Oshawa
Established in 1837, this 29 acre cemetery holds many famous people from Oshawa’s and Canada’s past. There are private mausoleums (built in 1924) and a Gothic Revival chapel. The Mausoleum has an ornate marble interior and hand-painted stained-glass windows. Open daily 8 am to 4 pm. No staff on-site