The City of Port Colborne has 18,000 residents living on 123 square miles. It is the fourth (4th) largest City in the Niagara Peninsula. It is located on the Northern shores of Lake Erie at the southern end of the Welland Canal. Port Colborne was built around the fishing and marine industry.
The Community was first called Sugarloaf, and later Gravelly Bay. When the First Welland Canal was completed in 1833, major land-owner William Hamilton Merritt re-named the port in honour of the Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada (Ontario), Sir John Colborne, who also led the infantry at the Battle of Waterloo.
Several public and private beaches are available. Sugarloaf harbor is a 900 serviced slip facility available for the weary sailors whether staying for a few hours or a few days. Visitors flock to Port Colborne to witness the Laker and Ocean-going vessels slipping traversing the Welland Canal. Today Port Colborne remains the only community on the St. Lawrence Seaway where passing ships can create a downtown traffic jam!
Port Colborne Annual Events
|Canal Days Festival||early August||Showboat Festival Theatre – Roselawn Center Theatre|
|Annual Antique Power Show||end June||Sherkston|
|International Week||early July||Lakeview Park|
Port Colborne Attractions
The Welland Canal and Lock #8
The St. Lawrence Seaway & the Welland Canal is a must for all tourists. Lock #8 in Port Colborne is the longest lift lock in the entire St. Lawrence Seaway System. View the ships in the lock from a viewing stand located in Fountain View Park.