This 1000 resident community was first settled in 1880 and is close to the southeast corner of Lake Nipissing. It takes its name from the Indian word for “the bend” in the South River. The area was settled in the 1870’s and business was attracted by the waterfalls in the South River, which provided waterpower for lumber processing and manufacturing. In the mid-1880s, the Northern and Pacific Junction Railway (which became the Grand Trunk and the CNR) extended northwards from Gravenhurst to North Bay (40 km to the north).
The small mountain on Powassan’s southeast corner was re-forested in the 1930s, and now provides three 2 km walking trail for the locals. The top provides a view of the Rift Valley to the West with a panorama of the area between Powassan and beyond Lake Nipissing.
The annual Maple Syrup Festival and Dicken’s Week.
The Clark House
It is one of the oldest brick homes in the Powassan area, built in 1886, using bricks from the Clark ) family’s own brick works. Three churches, the school and the fair grounds are all on land that originally belonged to the Clarks. The house is now maintained by the Powassan and Area Historical Society, 12 noon to 5 pm (Closed on Mondays) until Labour Day.