skip to Main Content

Whitchurch-Stouffville History

Whitchurch Township was created in 1792, and named for the village of Whitchurch, Herefordshire in, England, where Elizabeth Simcoe (wife of Upper Canada Lieutenant Governor Sir John Graves Simcoe) was born. The township was surveyed into concessions, each with five 200-acre lots, with road marking the boundaries between them. The first settlers were Quakers and Mennonites and Hessian soldiers after the end of American Revolution. Lumber mills were built to process timber cleared from the land, attracting settlement around them.

Stouffeville was a hamlet around the saw and grist mills of Mennonite settler Abraham Stouffer, though the new 1832 post office there shortened the name to Stouffville. In 1871, Toronto & Nipissing Railway connected the village with Toronto and enabled the expansion of area lumber mills, which in turn lead to deforestation around Whitchurch, converting local soils to sand deserts. After 1911, the area began to be re-forested, with over 5,000 acres so far. In 1971, Whitchurch Township and the Village of Stouffville were merged into Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville.

Whitchurch-Stouffville Attractions

Applewood Farm and Winery

12442 McCowan Rd., Stouffville, L4A 7X5
905-642-4720 Fax: 905-642-9745

A scenic 87 acre farm with pick your own apples and strawberries in-season. Taste award-winning fruit wines made on the farm.

Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area

Stouffville Road
(just east of Warden Avenue off Highway 404 in Whitchurch-Stouffville.)
416-667-6299

There are over 92 hectares of scenic conservation land. Picnic areas beach areas and swimming. Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area is part of the future Rouge Park Trail Network, with 10 km of hiking trails. The area houses several wetlands, grassy areas and mature woodlots and is home to more than 50 species of birds. The regular operating season runs from mid-March to early October,open daily 9 am to 8 pm (closing earlier in non-summer months). Admission. Host of TRCA Sugarbush Maple Syrup Festival (early March to mid-April). Pets allowed but must be kept on-leash.

Hulshof Farm

5538 Bloomington Rd., Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON, L4A 7X3
905-640-1380

A scenic 87 acre farm with pick your own apples and strawberries in season. Also grows broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Home-made bakery products now available on-farm.

Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority

120 Bayview Pkwy, Newmarket, L3Y 4X1
1-800-465-0437 Fax: 905-967-1265

We invite you to pursue a wide range of recreational opportunities in the conservation areas within the Lake Simcoe watershed. By picnicking, hiking, fishing and cross country skiing in these areas you can experience-first hand-the benefits of a healthy environment. Year round hiking opportunities exist in the following conservation areas: Scalon Creek, Thornton Bales, Sheppard’s Bush, Rogers Reservoir, Beaver River Wetlands.

  • Whitchurch (Stouffville)

    Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
    905-895-1281 Fax 905-853-5881

    Hikers here can spot northern orioles, ruffed grouse, and ring-necked pheasant. This heavily forested conservation area consists of a wide variety of trees, as well as a number of pine plantations and a man-made pond. This 10 hectare park has washrooms and a picnic pavilion

Lionel’s Pony Farm and Petting Zoo

11714 McCowan Rd, Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON L4A 7X5
(905) 640-7669

Started in 1956 in Scarborough, and recently moved to Stouffville. This is indoor facility is inside a barn with a heated eating area, a play castle, pony rides and toys for kids of all ages, outdoor petting zoo. The Farm has a classic collection of 150 1800’s to early 1900’s horse drawn carriages, sleighs and buggies, and offers horse or pony drawn hay rides/sleigh rides. Ideal for parties & events

Magic Hill’s Haunted Adventure

13953 Ninth Line Line, Stouffville, ON, L4A 7X3
905-640-2347

Started in the mid 1990s, and voted Canada’s #1 Haunted Theme Park. There is a Black Cavern (with, actors, hydraulics, and surprises) to terrorize you. Howling Hayride is a ride through the fields on a wagon pulled by a tractor, past scary scenes and monsters. A 150 year old Haunted Barn with The Black Hole is voted by some as our scariest and best attraction. Terror Trail Trek is voted by still others as our scariest attraction. A 25 minute hike similar to “The Blair Witch Project,” walking through a Mine Shaft and a Haunted Miners Cabin and then up the hill and through the forest. Admission rates vary with age and number of attractions.

Perennial Petals (Flower Farm)

3332 Stouffville Rd., Stouffville, ON, L4A 7X5
905-726-3356

A flower farm specializing in fresh cut and dried varieties. They also exhibit at the Newmarket Main Street Farmers’ Market.

Reesor Farm Kitchen

100 Ringwood Dr., Stouffville, ON, L6B 1A8
905-640-2270

Best known for their strawberries, but they have lots of other treats we have to offer. Shepherd’s Pie is made with locally grown potatoes and Certified Organic locally raised beef. Open Monday-Friday: 9:00 am-5:30 pm, Saturday: 9:00 am – 5 pm, Sunday closed.

Directions:

  • From Markham, follow Markham Road North to Stouffville Road. Turn right onto Stouffville Road then right again onto Ringwood Dr.
  • From Toronto, Hwy. 404 to Stouffville Road, go east, crossing Hwy. 48 (also known as Markham Road) then make the first right hand turn onto Ringwood Dr.

Rouge Park

Office: 50 Bloomington Road West, 3rd Floor, Aurora, L4G 3G8
(Along 9th Line south of Stouffville)
416 28-ROUGE (287-6843)

This large natural environment park, situated in an urban-rural setting, is 11,600 acres (47 sq km) in size. The Rouge Park provides low-impact recreational trails, and the City of Toronto’s only campground, rare plants, and visible geological formations within the Rouge watershed. There are two National Historic Sites of aboriginal origin within the Park, and some families of early European settlers still farm lands in Rouge Park today.  The park’s landscapes run from the rolling hills of the post-glacial Oak Ridges Moraine 50 km north of Toronto, to the vast wetlands and sandy beach where the Rouge River empties into Lake Ontario. The Park also includes the Petticoat Creek, Duffins Creek and Rouge River watersheds to form a major urban greenbelt. In one park, see forests, meadows, ponds and Toronto’s biggest wetlands at the Lakeshore. The beauty of the Rouge River inspired Frederick Horsman Varley of Canada’s famed Group of Seven painters.

Timber Creek Mini Golf & Family Fun Centre

12772 Ninth Line Line, Stouffville, L4A 7X3
905-642-5174 Fax: 905-642-3751

Fun-filled outdoor attraction with two spectacular one-of-a-kind miniature golf courses among waterfalls, rivers, a canyon, a lighthouse, a churning sawmill and a shipwreck. Family-run facility has a driving range, batting cages, a gemstone mining area, a games barn, a jumping castle and inflatable slide and a dairy bar. Great fun for all ages, with birthday party packages and group rates. Open mid-April-mid October, 8 am-10 pm (varies in April, May, and September) .

York Regional Forest

15470 Kennedy Rd, Newmarket, ON L3Y 4W1
1-877-464-9675

Owned by the Regional Municipality of York since 1924, but managed by the provincial Ministry of Natural Resources, showcases a successful restorations of a degraded landscape.

Willow Springs Winery

5572 Bethesda Rd, Stouffville, L4A 7X3
905-642-9463 Fax: 905-642-2251

Willow Springs Winery has an 11-acre vineyard atop the Oak Ridges Moraine, in Stouffville. The winery features outstanding, premium VQA wines. Sample the wines at the tasting bar, and browse the wine and gift shop. Private group wine tasting receptions and winemaker dinners are offered. Facilities can be booked for wedding ceremonies in the vineyard and wedding receptions and dinners. Open Year-round daily 11 am to 6 pm Sundays noon to 5 pm.

York-Durham Heritage Railway

PO Box 462, Stouffville L4A 7Z7
905-852-3696

Leaving from a fully restored rail station where travelers can board the nostalgic train and enjoy the scenic ride between Uxbridge and Stouffville. The locomotives are 1950s diesel, and the various cars date back to 1919. Saturdays are reserved for special functions, Sundays are for the general public, with 2 trips a day (not wheelchair accessible). Fares $$.

Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ontario Area Map

Back To Top
LATEST NEWS