Thank you for your interest in our website and other services. Your privacy is very important to us and we believe in giving you full disclosure about the kinds of information we gather and what we do with it. We also want to give you a choice about the use of your personal information.
Personally identifiable information
This is information you may have given us specifically about who you or your gift recipients are, such as:
- name, mailing address, email addr4ess, user name, password
- demographic information (such as age and education)
- your interests and preferences
- transactional information (such as the history of your purchases or the fact that your name and address was obtained by us on a contest entry)
The Website generally collects personally identifying information with your specific knowledge and consent. For instance, when you enter a sweepstakes or contest, complete a survey, make a purchase, subscribe to our publication(s), or register for any portion of our services, you are asked to provide information such as your e-mail address, name or phone number. Optional information such as your age or gender may also be requested.
Our servers may also automatically collect information about your computer when you visit the Website, including without limitation the type of browser software you use, the operating system you are running, the website that referred you, and your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address. Your IP address is usually associated with the place from which you enter the Internet, like your Internet Service Provider, your company or your university.
We may use the information in these ways:
We use your name and address (postal and/or email) in order to deliver the product, information or service you requested and to follow up with you about the transaction (i.e., send a bill, notify you that your subscription is expiring…etc). We may also send you further information about the publication, its offers, or other products produced under its name. We use the information you provide us about others to enable us to send them your gifts subscriptions or products.
While your personally identifying information is protected as outlined above, we reserve the right to use, transfer, sell, and share aggregated, anonymous data about our users as a group for any business purpose, such as analyzing usage trends and seeking compatible advertisers and partners.
In addition, as our business changes, we may buy or sell various assets. In the event all or a portion of the assets owned or controlled by Service Provider, its parent or any subsidiary or affiliated entity are sold, assigned, transferred or acquired by another company, the information from and/or about our Website users may be among the transferred assets.
Occasionally our magazines or websites may make their list of customers available to other carefully screened organizations that want to let you know about a product or service that might interest you. The material to be sent to you or your gift recipient is reviewed by us before the names and addresses are released to ensure the materials are appropriate. If you wish to know what list your name came from, we will make every reasonable effort to determine the source and provide you with the information. If you would prefer for us NOT to share your information, simply inform us (see “Contact Us” below).
Your credit card number, debit card number, or banking information for pre-authorized payments is used only for processing payments and for presenting you with payment options — not for marketing purposes.
This is information that cannot identify you, such as:
- System Information. The type of operating system you are using ( Windows, Mac OS), the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) (eg. Bell, Rogers…etc.) and the type of browser you are using (eg. Chrome, Firefox, Safari…etc). Browser information (i.e. the URL of the web page you were just on; the IP address of the computer you are using and your domain type) is automatically recorded as part of transmitting information over the Internet. We may use it to help us display information in the best format for you.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small text file we place in your browser’s files. No one else can read this file. Cookies allow our server to recognize you when you return to our site, so you don’t have to re-register and so we can retain any preferences you may have given us. If you do not wish to receive cookies, most browsers allow you to be alerted when a cookie is sent to your computer, so you can decide whether to accept it.
- Statistical Reports. We may develop summary reports to help us and our advertisers better understand our audience and provide web content and advertisements that are more likely to be of interest to you. For example, we may report total number of visitors to our site in general or to specific pages, average length of visit, etc. No identifying data about individuals would be reported.
- “Clickstream” Data. During your visit to our sites, we may record choices you have made and use this to provide more customized content or advertising. The data does not identify you and is not retained after your visit. This is sometimes called “clickstream” data. If we do market research studies or polls in any area that will only be reported in aggregate, this will be indicated.
- Service Providers: We use third-party “service providers” to perform certain services on our behalf when the information is necessary for them to perform their duties such as sending communications, hosting the Site, operating certain of its features or to manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness. These third-party service providers are prohibited from using personal information for any other purpose and are contractually required to comply with all applicable laws and requirements, which may include Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards if they are processing or transmitting payments for the Hudson’s Bay Family of Companies.
- Aggregate or Anonymous Non-Personal Information: We may also share or sell aggregate or anonymous information with or to our affiliates, agents, service providers, business partners, or other third parties for their marketing or analytics uses or for other lawful purposes. This type of non-identifiable and aggregate information cannot be used to identify you personally.
- Third Party Sources: We may acquire information from other sources to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically (such as information to validate or update your address or other demographic information), or when you connect with the company through a third party (including through social networks) based on your registration and privacy settings on those third party sites.
- Combination of Information: We may combine the information we receive from or about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through the Site or App, as well as information across other computers or devices that you use, with information we collect or receive about you from other online and offline sources, or from other third party sources.
- Interest-Based Advertising and Analytics: We work with third party advertising companies that use their own tracking technologies (such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, flash cookies, or other technologies) on our Site and App and other websites and apps in order to provide you with tailored advertisements on our behalf. These third parties collect information about your activity across your different devices on our Site and App and third-party websites and apps (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites and apps. This information may also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of our online advertising campaigns.
We work with third party advertising companies that use their own tracking technologies on our Site and App and other websites and apps in order to provide you with tailored advertisements on our behalf. These third parties collect information about your activity across your different devices on our Site and App and third-party websites and apps (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites and apps. This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns.
We may also use services provided by third-party platforms (such as social media and other websites) to serve targeted advertisements on such platforms to you or others, and we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to the platform provider for such purposes. To opt-out of the use of your information for such purposes, please send a request using any of the methods set out under the heading “Whom do I contact if I have additional questions or concerns about this policy?” below.
For more information about Google Analytics or if you wish to prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, Google has developed the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/. You can also obtain additional information on Google Analytics’ data privacy and security at the following links: https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites and https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/2919631
Control of your information
You always have the option to instruct us not to use your name, address, e-mail address, etc. beyond providing you with the product, information or service you requested. See “Contact Us” below.
E-mail communications will always include an “Unsubscribe” option.
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized individuals and suppliers have access to customer information. Where information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all customer information is kept secure. We keep your information for the time we are providing you with a product or service, and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you wish to resume service.
We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Credit card information is processed using industry-standard encryption and security. We do not collect personal information from bulletin boards or forums. However, we cannot guarantee that personal information voluntarily disclosed on message boards and discussion groups will not be collected and used by others, which may result in unsolicited messages to you from other parties.
You may contact TransCanada FoundLocally Inc. regarding privacy matters in any one of the following ways:
TransCanada FoundLocally Inc.
Suite 3000, 421 7 Ave SW
Telephone: (403) 245-2194
From time to time, we may update our privacy statement. Please review this policy periodically.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form without the express written consent of TransCanada FoundLocally Inc..