This small town began as a division point of the Canadian Pacific Railway, once the tracks were laid in 1882. The location of the original tracks is marked with a plaque on the west side of town. The town is also known as a sanctuary for migrating Canada geese.
The town and the post office were named in 1882 when the Canadian Pacific Railway was built that far, because the level prairie gave a broad view of the surrounding landscape.
1 block south of Highway 1 at N Front Street.
This museum consists of an Indian log house, an 1897 rural school, a sod and log cabin, and a CPR train station and caboose. Displays include artifacts from Indians and early settlers and include early photographs and maps. Open 10 am to 6 pm, mid-June to early September.